Fly your drone
Follow the steps below before starting your drone mission. And make sure you have one of the supported drone. Look at related articles to see which drones we support right now.
Stage 1. Permits
Make sure you have all permits and insurances to fly. Always make sure that you are allowed to fly over the area that you fly!
Stage 2. Flight Planning Application
Use a flight planning application like DJI Ground Station Pro, DroneDeploy or any other system of you preference.
Stage 3. Mission Planning
Recommended settings for analysis:
- Flight height = 110m (supports 90-130m)
- Overlap sideways = 30% (supports 20-40%)
- Overlap frontways = 30% (supports 20-40%)
- Camera angle = 90° (downwards)
- Camera settings for beginners = auto
Tip: If your area is flat and there is low wind change the side overlap to 20% to get a faster data collection.
For advanced user that wants a higher image quality and analysis result use the following complementary guides:
- Camera settings
- Reference Image Guide
- Complementary guide for exposure
- Capture mode = Capture at Equal distance interval
Stage 4. Flight day
Now you are here and ready to fly. Do not forget to insert the memory card.
1. Set up the drone and start it to let it find enough satellites
2. Take up your phone/tablet and open your preferred drone app
3. Take a starting image on the ground before starting the mission by pressing the camera button on the remote controller. A starting image is necessary for every new start, so every time you move location or change battery.
4. Start the flight in the drone app after your planned mission
5. Take a fika and be in charge of the flight
Tip: Taking a starting image from the ground will make your mosaics smoother, with higher GPS accuracy and the analysis better.
Stage 5. Analysis
When you have the images on the memory card you can upload all the flight images to ArboPortal to get your forest analyzed.